Monday 5 September 2011

Hands up!

This morning i found myself at a new location... again! lol ;)
I guess i just wanna try em all out, and see if there's any stuff worth spending more time there.
And after seeing all the silver dug over the weekend, i was wanting more!

New area number 3 didn't disappoint . . .


Got out before sunrise, and left about 3pm, just a little bit after i had a visit from some officers!
 Haha, yes, thats right, some busy-body called the police, and said someone was digging up the park! Funny thing, which worked in my favour, is that one of the officers used to metal detect in the UK! So after a bit of a chat, and a squiz at what id pulled out for the day, i was wished good luck, and they went off, hopefully not to be called out to someone elses time wasting arrogance. I plan to head back to the same area tomorrow, and actually start grid searching blocks of the area, instead of just randomly wandering the whole area swinging.

I'll also be writing a little "note to the editor" for the next local paper, directed to the arrogant nosy-parker,
and will suggest to them, that next time, they actually come and inquire what im doing, instead of wasting valuable police time ;) Anyone else had something similar happen???

Semi cleaned scans....






6 comments:

  1. Hey Ash you had a good day out. Glad the police were reasonable. If you always, always backfill your holes properly then I don't think the Parks people will be too concerened.
    The bottom row - is that all silver? WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only had a police car stop opposite where I was detecting and watch me for a good 5 minutes. Don't know if he was called or not but what surprised me was that a car was patrolling the island at 5am! Unheard of here....

    Nice finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I always make sure as much loose soil possible is put back in the hole before firmly replanting the plugs, then i even make sure the grass on and around the plug is fluffed up a bit - lol ^^.

    Bottom row all silver, and a silver signet ring(925 stamped) with a garnet stone i think,
    which i actually dug up while another older local gent was standing watching/talking with me earlier on in the morning.

    Going to clean and scan a bit later on, tea to close now.

    Indeed a fun day,
    HH all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, you must be thrilled with that lot, especially the silvers.I have never had the police check out what I was doing, however I did get a threatening letter fron the NZ Historic Places Trust one day after a local busy body dobbed me in and took a photo of me and my vechicle rego.......... Just make sure that none of the places you hunt are on the NZHPT register. It is illegal to even disturb the soil or 'modify' the site in any way on these sites. You could be quite supprised at what is on their register, check out their website ...............better to be safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool, thanks for that heads up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive never had any issues with the police or council staff... occasionally they will give me a quick look, but thats about it... I did have a teacher yell at me one day "stop digging up our school"etc.. then stormed off to call security who arrived soon after.. I showed him the letter I had for PERMISSION from the PRINCIPLE... and off he went saying he couldn't believe anyone bother ringing him about something so trivial... now if the teacher had been a bit more polite and actually spoke to me she would not have ended up looking grumpy and silly. I emailed the principle to say thanks and a few pictures of my finds which they put on their school website, they were quite surprised with the old coins... I never found the gold ring that a teacher had lost though...

    ReplyDelete